The Van Herck Collection

Research archive and documentation of art dealer Charles Van Herck relating to sculpture produced in Antwerp in the 17th and 18th centuries.

History, content and structure

The Rubenianum preserves the documentation of the former Antwerp art dealer Charles Van Herck (1884-1955). The Van Herck family was active in the antiquarian sector from the 19th century onward. In 1947 Charles Van Herck founded the ‘Zaal Van Herck’. The firm, at which auctions were held on a monthly basis, remained in existence until 1994. Van Herck, who specialized in sculptures produced in Antwerp in the 17th and 18th centuries, also built up a collection of documentation on works of art.

 

Content and structure

The core of the collection consists of index cards and photographs on various sculptors and their works. In addition to this, the collection also contains more general documentation, some personal documents and a series of pieces that were added by Charles's son Alfons. The collection is inextricably bound up with the artwork documentation of Van Hercks research partner Adolf Jansen (1899-1989), also preserved at the Rubenianum.

 

Consulting this source

The archival collection is completely inventoried and searchable in our archival database. The archive can be consulted after contacting the Rubenianum via rubenianum@stad.antwerpen.be. Please also send a request through our collection catalogue.